Can you work from home without losing your mind? Some days it is a tall task- kids running around, breaking up fights or even taking care of a sick kid. It can be so challenging to maintain the sanity at home without adding in the pressure of trying to work. I began working from home almost as soon as my son (who’s almost 5) was born. I was midway through my graduate degree when he was born and I took the semester he was born off. Trying to balance classes and assignments was difficult and as a new mom I felt guilty from pulling my time away from my baby for anything else.
Why Working From Home Can Be Good For You And The Kids
1. You show your kids how to work towards a goal– What better way to show your kids how to reach their goals then by modeling it for them every day? You show them how important it is to not give up on their dreams and allow them to be a part of the process with you. Whatever your business is- your kids desperately want to know about you and what’s important to you. Essential oils have been a part of our lives for the last 2 years and I LOVE that our oldest son can identify lavender in a garden.
2. You are still working towards your passions which will inspire you to be a better mom- I love staying at home with the kids but I also enjoy an outlet to communicate with the world (like blogging). Being able to potentially bring in some extra money to the house when you are on a one-income budget is also a HUGE motivator to get work done. Being able to blog full-time (with income) is a huge dream of mine so that I can have that freedom and luxury to be there for my whole family as I am able.
3. Seeing your business grow will motivate you to do more- I haven’t exactly reached this stage yet but I know from talking with other people I know who are entrepreneurs that when your business takes off you want to do more. I love reaching goals (I tend to be a bit competitive) so when I start to feel like I’m achieving what I want, it only inspires me to reach out to do more.
How To Work Without Losing Your Mind
Now the tough part- it’s not always easy to work from home especially with kids. But I’m here to tell you it can be done! Here’s some tips I employ every day-
1. Pomodoros- Pomodoros are a timed interval to complete certain tasks. You set a goal for yourself during that period and ONLY work on that task. Then when your time is up- you take a break. I actually do my pomodoros quite differently than a lot of people probably do- I will break up my pomodoros and focus on house and blog stuff. You can read more about pomodoros here.
2. Nap Times- Yep I know, giving up nap time when your brain is fried to do work is the last thing I want do somedays. But if you are really wanting to get ahead and keep up with whatever you have going on, use your naptimes.
3. Use A Scheduler- Planning has proven to be one of the biggest keys to my success these days. If you are a blogger, check out Co-Schedule or the Editorial Calendar WordPress plug-in. Using these applications are helping me daily really focus on giving good focused content. I’m moving to posting on this blog Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday which will allow me to do 3 posts a week and give me the rest of the week to plan the next week’s content. Trello has also helped me immensely with doing research for posts and planning ahead.
Pinterest is also proving to be immensely helpful for me- I am actually using it now to pin and meet new bloggers. But I am also using it to curate content for my Twitter and Facebook feeds, which I schedule ahead with Cinchshare. I used to feel like I spent all day doing 60 minutes of work, in what felt like 1 minute intervals. Then when I didn’t get ahead like I hoped I was scheduling things last minute.
If you are in the direct sales/network marketing world- I highly suggest using an app like Cinchshare. It is so helpful to be able to schedule posts for your parties or your groups on Sunday for the week than trying to do everything in real-time. If you want to learn more about my experiences scheduling a Facebook party check out How To Have A Stress Free Facebook Party.
Are you a work from home mom? How do you get stuff done during the day with kids? Would love to know your best tip in the comments below!